inp.polri.go.id - Jakarta. The Indonesian National Police (INP), as part of the Hajj and Umrah Task Force, are following up on a report regarding Saudi Arabian security forces in Mecca who arrested three Indonesian citizens on suspicion of fraudulent Hajj services.
The INP Vice Chief Commissioner General Dedi Prasetyo stated that his institution will collaborate with the Indonesian Ministry of Hajj and Umrah and the Indonesian Embassy to communicate this case to the Saudi Arabian Police, as the location of the case is in Mecca, Saudi Arabia.
"Regardless of whether Indonesian citizens are facing legal action in another country, the state's obligation is to provide legal assistance," he said at INP Criminal Investigation Agency HQ in Jakarta on Thursday (4/30/2026).
On the same occasion, Vice Minister of Hajj and Umrah Dahnil Anzar Simanjuntak revealed that the three Indonesian citizens are suspected of fraud by producing and advertising false documents related to the Hajj.
"They committed this crime and were then arrested by the Saudi Arabian police, and of course, they require assistance from our police in Indonesia," he said.
To handle this case, he stated that his office has requested additional police personnel to discuss further with the Saudi Arabian Police regarding the regulation and governance of the Hajj pilgrimage in that country.
Previously, the Indonesian Ministry of Foreign Affairs received information from the Indonesian Consulate General (KJRI) in Jeddah that three individuals suspected of being Indonesian citizens were arrested by Saudi Arabian security forces in Mecca on Tuesday (4/28/2026).
"The three are suspected of being involved in fraud and embezzlement related to illegal Hajj services, including through the distribution of fake Hajj service advertisements on social media," said Heni Hamidah, Director of Protection of Indonesian Citizens at the Indonesian Ministry of Foreign Affairs.
According to Hamidah, Saudi Arabian security forces also found several pieces of evidence, including money, computer equipment, and allegedly counterfeit Hajj cards. Two of the three individuals were reportedly wearing the attire of Indonesian Hajj officials during their arrests.
"Currently, the Indonesian Consulate General in Jeddah is verifying the identities of the perpetrators and coordinating with the local government to oversee the subsequent legal process in accordance with applicable regulations," Hamidah said.
(ad/inp/pr/rs)
